February 16, 2011

Literacy? Good or not?

It's actually quite amazing that I am currently ACTUALLY LEARNING SOMETHING IN COLLEGE! Not only do I pay 5,000$ a semester to sit in a class and read lecture notes from a power point (normally) but I am paying to be nurtured.

It's sickening.

But somehow I became overwhelmed by this mass knowledge.  This semester is a new environment where every single professor has taken the time to dedicate their lives to their topics.
I am not learning from a book..
I am learning from a human capsule of experience.
And now I am fully understanding the weight of their untainted, "from the earth", knowledge.

...Pause... breathe...

There's been this recent theme surrounding my life...
is oral or written history better? 


(http://www.mts.net/~pmorrow/bayeng1.htm)
This is a list on the early alphabet used in the Philippines (pretty sweet).  They didn't use "stone" which is why they were able to have curved shapes while those who were using tablets in other areas had straight geometric shapes.
Sources: Doctrina 1593 font by P. Morrow, BugisA font by Andi Mallarangeng and Jim Henry, and various samples from Raffles and Diringer.

It's not really the alphabet itself that amazes me, but rather the simplicity of it, and the point that the people made that writing was not actually kept, it was easily tossed with the wind.

So why do we think we need to keep these books around our house, or have this tangible permanence rather than vocality, which requires our trust?






We no longer contain that trust with one another...

Quite sad really...

0 comments:

Post a Comment